Monday 15 November 2021

George Studdy - part 4

 George Studdy evolved his most famous character within the pages of The Sketch. ‘Bonzo’, the mischievous white puppy, first appeared with that name on 8 November 1922, and became so popular that he was reproduced in many forms beyond books and postcards, from clocks to mascots.

G E Studdy was born at Stoke Damerel, Devon, on 23 June 1878, the son of a lieutenant in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. He was educated at Clifton College, Bristol and Dulwich College, London (which he left in 1896). A childhood accident prevented him from following a military career, but he worked as an apprentice engineer for Thames Iron Works and then as a stockbroker before becoming a cartoonist. Encouraged by an aunt to develop his interest in art, he took evening classes at Heatherley’s and spent a valuable term at Calderon’s School of Animal Painting. From the turn of the century he contributed regularly to such periodicals as Comic Cuts and produced drawings for advertisements.


For more biographical notes, see part 1. For earlier works see parts 1 - 3 also.

This is part 4 of a 5-part series on the works of George Studdy.


Postcards:


1927 Between ourselves

1927 Can't say when I'm coming back.

1927 Don't worry about me!

1927 I wish I could hang on here!

1928 Forget-me-not

1928 I'm behind with that letter.
Hope this'll make amends.

1928 There's a funny tale going around here

1929 I'm getting on fine here!

1929 It's perfectly awful without you.

A friend in need.

1924 A Soft Drink.

Another funny "P.C." for you.

Aren't you glad the speed limit's gone?

Cant think of much to say.

Chocolate Number 113 is unlucky.

Christmas Greetings.
Like "Bonzo" may you have a bright surprise to gladden and delight your eyes.

Come and see me at Saltash

Do blow in one evening!

Give my love to all at home.

Have you lost your pen?

Here's Luck.

Here's one for you - where's mine?

Heresh to you!

His Master's Vice.

I did but see her passing by!

I didn't do it!

I just can't get you out of my head!

I love having someone to talk to

I really haven't time to write!

I wish I could see you!

I wish you were in my arms!

"I'll be seein' ye yet!"

I'm in a hurry to get this off.

I'm sure I shall like this spot.

I've a warm heart, but...

I've just remembered I forgot to write you!

If I only thought you'd miss me - but you don't

Just my luck -- I ought to have dropped a line!

Low Tide.

Merry Thoughts

Never Bury an Old Bone in an Old Chair.

Nice little bit of fluff!

Nothing to write home about.

Now what about it?

O.K. Chief!

Oh! How I wish this were you!

"Oh, how I miss your lily-white hand and long to see you smile!"

"Oliver Twist."

One pays for being naughty!

Operatic Number
(You are Queen of My Heart to Night).

Please don't make light of this!

Sphere Never Fail.
Advertising postcard

Swank.

That's What I think of You.

The End of a Perfect Day.

There's Room for You at Woolacombe
(Generic postcard with a lift up cut-out)

Three o'Clock in the Morning.

When's yours coming off?

You fill my waking thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.